Last decade has seen an exponential increase in demand for Hair transplant, hair restoration and corrective hair transplant procedure. Hair Transplant if done properly it is said to a safe procedure with predictably natural and permanent results. But we are sorry to reckon that not all clinics or surgeons give Hair transplant a good name. This fast growth in demand for hair transplant has become a luring business for many amateur, non-qualified and inexperienced doctors. There are strong evidences that explain how a hair transplant can turn into a nightmare owing to exponential increase in the ill-equipped centre being run by non-qualified personnel. Surprisingly many of these are not even doctors or are under qualified doctors. This type of centres attracts lots of clients on the basis of strong unlawful marketing gimmicks.
For public information Hair Transplant is one of the microsurgical and fine aesthetic procedure and demands knowledge and experience especially microsurgical skills. Plastic surgery is the only such speciality which fulfils the demand for such fine procedure as per guidelines only a plastic surgeon can do successful Hair restoration.
Such demanding procedures if carried out by a nonqualified, nonsurgical specialist will surely compromise safety and put the health and even life in danger.
Some common reasons for hair transplant going bad or wrong leading to utter disappointment are-
- An under qualified / in experienced Hair transplant surgeon does not give the necessary attention to the health of hair follicles. As a result hair follicles get damaged before and during implantation hence affecting the results.
- Dissection and preparation of the hair follicles as per need is a very important step which needs very well trained team working under strict supervision preferably in-house one. The wrong dissection of follicles not only compromises growth/density but also leads to unnatural results.
- Experienced Hair Transplant surgeon perfectly knows how to prepare the recipient site taking care of proper direction/angulation of hairs as well as proper density. With obvious reasons this needs profound knowledge of the normal hair pattern as well a blood supply pattern of skin. An under qualified person won’t be able to do it in a right way. Similarly wrong punching of hair follicles in FUE hair transplant and wrong direction of incision with improper closure in FUT leads to very high trans section rate as well as bad scars.
- Sometimes if placement of hair follicles is not done properly, it leads to low density and bad results. Front line needs use of finer follicles (with one to two hairs) with proper angulations. If the selection of follicles and direction of follicles is wrong, hair grow in vague direction with unpredictable density hence giving unnatural and unacceptable results. Larger follicles give unnatural corn field/pitted and bushy appearance.
- Ill-equipped Operation theatre with the lack of proper lighting, magnifying and finer instruments is another factor which contributes to bad hair transplant.
- Badly done hair transplant, not only gives un natural un acceptable results but also leads to extensive damage to donor site as well as to recipient site. The scalp loses its virginity and skin becomes scarred with compromise in blood supply. This also leads to depletion of the precious limited donor site.
Olmec and corrective hair transplant
Almost more than half of hair transplant procedures being done at Olmec constitute corrective or salvage hair transplant for bad transplant done somewhere else.
In order to reverse a bad hair transplant and give you the best possible outcome, a detailed evaluation is done by our senior Plastic Surgeon Dr. Narendra Kaushik. Dr. Kaushik carefully assesses every individual case to determine what has gone wrong in the previous hair transplant and finalizes his approach to give most natural and aesthetic looks possible. Major factors to be considered before doing corrective hair transplant are-
Frontal hair line
In order to give hair transplant a natural look, a well-designed and natural frontal hair line is a must. Dr. Narendra Kaushik concentrates and prepares a plan for frontal hair line. Three factors are extremely important- 1. Preparation of recipient area with extremely fine bore needle to preserve the blood supply in scarred skin. This ensures predictable full growth of the transplanted follicles. 2. Proper direction and angulation is maintained to achieve natural pattern. 3. The follicles used are finer one, preferably containing one or two hairs. The area behind the frontal line needs larger follicles containing two to four hairs.
To give a perfect normal look to hair transplant ideal density of 60-70 graft/cm2 has to be done. Dr. Kaushik does prefer mega session/Giga sessions FUT or super Giga sessions (combination of FUT and FUE hair transplant) to get maximum number of grafts and transplant them in remaining / affected / low density areas so that density can be increased in single session without damaging the existing hairs.
Consideration of Scarring owing to previous Hair Transplant
Owing to an anatomical knowledge of blood supply through skin and scar, as well as knowledge of scar quality Dr Kaushik plans meticulously . Judicious use of fine instrumentation and proper handling of the donor as well as recipient site is followed. This not only respects the existing hairs, but also negates any potential damage to skin and hair follicles.
Previous FUE Hair Transplant
If previous Hair Transplant has been done by FUE, for corrective hair transplant FUT technique is preferred as FUT modified trichophytic closure leaves more viable grafts, practically scar less surgery and a more natural look at recipient as well door site. Redo FUE leads to more damage to follicles as well as leads to sparse density over the donor site. Though if number of follicles required is not high, the touch up with FUE can be done.
Accurate angle of incision
Dr Kaushik uses his expertise and surgical acumen to make an accurate angle of an incision so that when hair grow they are in harmony with existing hairs hence giving a perfectly natural look. The hairs grow through the incision line thus mitigating the scar.
Cost of corrective Hair Transplant
Many patients think that corrective hair transplant is costly but corrective hair transplant cost is same as a normal hair transplant. Depending upon the number of hair follicles required. At Olmec, hair transplant centre cost for the corrective hair transplant is Rs. 30 per graft for FUT Hair restoration and Rs 40 per graft for FUE hair restoration.
Recovery in corrective Hair Transplant
Recovery in corrective Hair Transplant in Delhi is same as normal Hair Transplant procedure. It is a single day procedure and one can go home after hair restoration surgery. If you feel OK, you can resume work the next day. You can do usual hair washing with care 3rd day onward.